A subject you enjoyed studying this term




A subject which has currently affected, in great magnitude, the faculty is suicide among the students. This is due to the actual suicide of a workmate and two others that were on the verge of doing the same thing. As often happens in these cases there is hardly any prevention but a lot of talking amongst us once the tragedy has occured. Personally I think not enough importance is given to these cases in Chile, the worst has to happen before anyone takes any action.

I remember needing psicological help,
mainly because I needed some type of contention and as always there were no hours available in the public health enteties and when I tried to find help within the faculty the waiting list was enormous. I could have had suicidle ideas without any support to avoid them. I dont know if this is the same in other countries but here in Chile its obvious that help is difficult to find.

I wish that the depression, words and actions of our workmates were taken more seriously. I guess its easy to say how I wish things would be but what do we do about it. People usually say that those who chose to comit suicide are the weak link, so if this is true why dont we notice they need help before they carry out such a terrible desicion. I guess we could do it but people tend to be selfish and we hardly ever stop to take a look around us, its sad to feel part of this society. Suicide tends to trigger a chain reaction and this is because students are collapsing.

I dare not say that the suicides taken place in my faculty have a direct link with my career, as no one knows what problems these students were having, I guess there are cases when not even the family knows what was going on in their minds. Pressure, stress, constant critics and all those bad moments lived can influence a desicion as tremendous as this. This subject really affects me, not because I have thought of killing myself but because I know people that have been in critical situations were they could have taken their lifes. It makes me feel sad and angry not being there to help those that need support, we are studying in a faculty that is selfish and egocentric, I really do hope this changes some day.

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

A career-related website / an expert on your field